What Is the Value of My Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawsuit?
Have you been victim to discrimination based on your sexual orientation? Have you been the target of homophobic comments or jokes? Has your identification with the LGBT community affected your ability to get a job, keep a job, be eligible for promotions, or work in a positive environment? If so, you have likely thought about the possibility of filing a lawsuit against the employer responsible for discriminating against you based on your sexual orientation. No matter if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender, you have the right to be treated fairly and respectfully in your workplace. Although there are federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation in the workplace, many employers continue to mistreat employees based on their sexual orientation.
While you thought about the possibility of filing a lawsuit against your employer, you likely had the following questions:
- How much is a sexual orientation discrimination worth?
- How much is the value of my case?
- What payout should I expect?
The following sections will contain the answers to the questions listed above. Although you should find the sections below to be informative, you should not use the details provided to substitute for a consultation with an experienced attorney. The attorneys at California Employment Attorneys Group can give you specific details based on their evaluation of your case. You should not hesitate to contact our law firm as soon as possible—our attorneys are ready to help you.
Review of Past Settlements and Verdicts
What is the average settlement for a sexual orientation discrimination case? You might have asked yourself this question upon thinking about the possibility of filing a lawsuit against your employer. Although there is no established average value of a sexual orientation discrimination lawsuit, a review of past settlements and verdicts can provide some insight into the possible value of your case. Below, you will find a list of a few examples of prior sexual orientation discrimination settlements and verdicts:
- $202,200—a lesbian employee was a victim of discrimination based on her sexual orientation. The plaintiff was a victim of frequent comments and sexual gestures. Besides the monetary compensation for the plaintiff, the company was ordered to develop a training program to prevent sexual orientation discrimination among staff in the future.
- $115,000—a transgender woman experienced discrimination from both management and co-workers. She was denied the right to use the women’s restroom, the target of constant comments, and subjected to a hostile work environment. Besides the monetary compensation for the plaintiff, the company was required to make changes in their policies and establish training programs to prevent discrimination in the future.
- $150,000—a transgender woman was discriminated against and terminated from her position because she no longer conformed to the employer’s expectations, preferences, or stereotypes surrounding gender and sexual orientation.
As you can see, the value of each case is different—this is because of the specific situation behind each case. To receive detailed information about the value of your case, you must immediately contact California Employment Attorneys Group. Our attorneys will give you further information on the expected settlement amount of a sexual orientation discrimination lawsuit as well as information on the estimated value of your case.
Compensation Available for Sexual Orientation Discrimination Cases
The amount you can receive for your lawsuit depends on the compensation you are eligible to receive. What type of compensation might you receive for sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace? Many victims of discrimination based on sexual orientation are eligible to receive lost wages, pain and suffering, and punitive damages. Below, you will find additional information on the compensation that a victim of sexual orientation discrimination might receive:
- Lost wages—if the discrimination you experienced resulted in termination or losing wages, you will likely be eligible to receive compensation. If you were demoted to a lower paying position, denied the opportunity to get higher paying promotions, or denied bonuses and commissions, you likely will be able to receive compensation for the wages you lost because of the discrimination.
- Pain and suffering—if you were a victim of discrimination based on your sexual orientation, you likely experienced mental and emotional distress. If so, you might be eligible to receive compensation for the pain and suffering caused by the discrimination. A professional will evaluate you and establish the severity of your mental and emotional affliction.
- Punitive damages—if the discrimination can be proved to be intentional and malicious on behalf of the employer accused, the lawsuit will likely result in punitive damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the employer and try to prevent the discrimination from reoccurring.
In addition to the compensation listed above, the lawsuit can have other results. In some cases, the employer accused of discrimination can be ordered to implement changes in the workplace—in areas like policy and training, for example. In other cases, the employer might be required to reinstate the victim if there was wrongful firing because of his or her sexual orientation. Many cases do not receive all the compensation mentioned above; rather, they receive a combination of some of the compensation previously mentioned. Because the compensation received can vary, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. As previously mentioned, our attorneys at California Employment Attorneys Group can give you thorough information on the compensation you might be eligible to receive as well as explain past sexual orientation discrimination settlement amounts.
California Employment Attorneys Group
Are you a member of the LGBT community? Do you identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender? If so, you might have experienced some degree of discrimination in the workplace based on your sexual orientation. Whether being a victim of sexual orientation discrimination resulted in experiencing illegal firing, not getting a job, or missing out on growth opportunities, you might have thought about filing a lawsuit against the employer that discriminated against you. If so, you have likely wondered about the possible outcomes of your case. What compensation might you receive? What is the value of your case? To get the answers to those questions, you must immediately contact a law firm with experience handling sexual orientation discrimination cases. California Employment Attorneys Group is a law firm dedicated to helping victimized employees find the justice they deserve. Our law firm offers an expert team of attorneys ready to represent employees that have been the victims of sexual orientation discrimination.
California Employment Attorneys Group is committed to helping all employees have access to legal services with minimal effort. Many victims of workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation hesitate to seek legal assistance because of the association of lawsuits and stress and expenses. Our law firm aims to move as far away from these associations as possible. California Employment Attorneys Group offers free consultations—so you can speak to a sexual orientation discrimination attorney without fearing the costs. During your free consultation, you can expect our expert attorneys to answer all of your questions and concerns—including details about the value of a sexual orientation discrimination case. Our law firm also offers free second opinions. If you already have an attorney with another law firm but are having doubts, you might be interested in having our experienced attorneys give you a free second opinion. If you are unsure about needing a second opinion, you must reflect on your experience with your current attorney. Did your attorney answer all of your questions and give you the confidence you need to file your lawsuit? Did your attorney leave you with more questions than answers? Did you feel that your attorney was rushing through your consultation at any point? Have you found yourself searching for additional information from other sources? Unfortunately, many attorneys do not prioritize giving the best quality legal services. Instead, they prioritize seeing as many cases and clients in a day. Because of this, they often rush through consultation and entire cases, sometimes overlooking and neglecting key pieces of information that can affect the outcome of the case. Is that a risk you are willing to take? If you are not willing to take that risk, you must contact California Employment Attorneys Group as soon as possible. Our attorneys will never rush through your case; rather, our attorneys will allow as much time as necessary to ensure that you receive all the information necessary to give you the confidence to file a lawsuit against your employer.
California Employment Attorneys Group demonstrates its dedication to clients through a Zero-Fee guarantee. This Zero-Fee guarantee ensures that our clients never have to worry about having to pay any upfront fees for any of our legal services. Additionally, our law firm is strictly based on contingency; therefore, the victims of sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace will not have to pay anything until our skilled attorneys win their claims against their employers. We are here to help—do not hesitate to contact California Employment Attorneys Group as soon as possible.