With almost 4 million people in Los Angeles and nearly 2 million employees in the city – employment mistreatment and employment claims are fairly common. How long have you been employed in your Los Angeles workplace? Are you older than 40 years old? Have you suffered any sort of mistreatment directly related to your age? If you are older than 40 years old, there are laws that protect you from unfair treatment, such as workplace discrimination. Have you suffered age discrimination in your workplace? Has your employer mistreated you in any way? Does your employer show preference towards younger employees? If you believe that you have been subjected to age discrimination in your workplace, you must seek legal assistance with the employment experts at California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group as soon as possible.
California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group is an employment law firm with many years of experience handling age discrimination claims. The age discrimination attorneys at California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group have the expertise necessary to provide you with all the information that you need to understand your rights as an employee and your rights to file an age discrimination claim. If you would like to discuss your current situation with the employment attorneys at our law firm, do not hesitate to contact our experts as soon as possible.
What is Age Discrimination?
Age discrimination occurs when employers discriminate against an employee (or potential employee) based on their age. Although age discrimination can occur to people of all ages, age discrimination is only illegal when it involves parties who are 40 or older. Without a doubt, many employees suffer discrimination based on their age during their time working. Some of the common types of discrimination based on age include the following employment decisions: hiring, firing, demotions, promotions, bonuses, benefits, job assignments, etc.
Do you believe that you have been discriminated in the workplace based on your age? If you believe that you have been the victim of age discrimination, consider the following points:
- Age Discrimination and Retaliation: many employees put up with age discrimination simply because of fear of having to deal with any other mistreatment if they try to address the discrimination to which they are subjected. Unfortunately, many employees suffer retaliation after they complain about age discrimination in the workplace. In many cases, retaliation comes in the form of demotions, pay/hour cuts, increased workloads, changes in scheduling, false performance reports, suspension, unreasonable disciplinary action, increased scrutiny, and more unfair treatment, for example. Because of the risk of retaliation, many employees who are victims of age discrimination simply do not do anything to address the issue with their treatment in the workplace.
- Age Discrimination and Wrongful Termination: many employees are wrongfully terminated on the basis of their age. Employers base the decision to terminate employees solely on their age – making the termination unlawful. In many cases, employers either give no reasons or false reasons for the termination. Some of the most common excuses given for wrongful termination include budget cuts, restructuring, poor work performance, or poor work ethic, for example. Although these excuses are false, many victims of wrongful termination simply accept them and their sudden termination.
If you would like to learn more about age discrimination in the workplace, do not hesitate to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. Our knowledgeable age discrimination attorneys are ready to provide you with all the information that you need to better understand what you could do after suffering age discrimination in the workplace.
The Laws Prohibiting Age Discrimination in the Workplace
Is age discrimination illegal? Without a doubt, it is unlawful for employers to discriminate against their employees – or prospective employees – on the basis of age. There are laws on both the federal and state levels that protect employees from age discrimination. Consider the following laws:
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) – federal law
- Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) – state law in California
If you would like to learn more about the specific employment laws that protect you and other employees from age discrimination in the workplace, do not hesitate to contact our law firm as soon as possible. The employment attorneys at California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group are ready to provide you with all the information that you need to gain a thorough understanding of the federal and state laws that make it illegal for your employer to discriminate against you based on your age.
Taking Action against Age Discrimination
Your employer discriminated against you based on your age, what can you do? If you have been a constant victim of age discrimination in your workplace, you likely have thought about finally taking action against your employer. Age discrimination is illegal based on both federal and state law; therefore, you definitely have the right to take action against your employer. What could you do? Who should you contact? Do you need an attorney? Can you file a lawsuit? All of these questions are valid questions; it can be difficult to take action, especially if you do not have access to essential information. In terms of employment claims, employees in Los Angeles have access to the following options:
- Filing a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC): employees have the right to pursue a charge with the EEOC, the federal employment agency that enforces/oversees federal employment laws.
- Filing a claim with the Department of Fair Housing and Employment (DFEH): employees in Los Angeles (and all of California) have the right to pursue a charge with the DFEH, the state employment agency responsible for enforcing/overseeing state employment laws.
- Filing a civil lawsuit against your employer: all employees have the right to pursue a civil lawsuit against their employer, given that the EEOC or DFEH have granted them the right to sue.
- Filing a class action lawsuit against your employer: depending on the specific situation, you might be eligible to participate in a class action lawsuit against your employer.
Without a doubt, you have the right to take action against your employer. If you would like to pursue charges via employment agencies or civil lawsuits with the assistance of employment lawyers, you must ensure that you also have a thorough understanding of the deadlines that likely apply to your claim. For more information, do not hesitate to contact the experts at California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group as soon as possible.
Could You Receive Compensation?
If you were subject to age discrimination in your workplace, could you recover compensation? Are you eligible to recover compensation? How much compensation could you receive? What types of compensation are available for recovery? Your questions are valid; however, specific questions regarding the types or amount of compensation that you could recovery are better reserved for your attorney. Although every age discrimination claim is different, claimants are sometimes eligible to recover compensation for lost wages, pain/suffering, lost benefits, and punitive damages, for example. If you would like to learn more about the specific type or amount of compensation that you could receive if you pursue an age discrimination claim against your employer, do not hesitate to contact our experts today to begin fighting for your right to recover the maximum amount of compensation available for your claim.
Contact California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group Today
Do you believe that your employer discriminated against you simply based on your age? If you are 40 or older and suspect that you were subject to age discrimination, it is essential that you seek legal assistance as soon as possible – as age discrimination in the workplace is prohibited by law. To learn more about your right to pursue legal action against your employer after you were subject to age discrimination, do not hesitate to contact our law firm as soon as possible. The employment attorneys at California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group will provide you with the guidance that you need to take action against your employer. Would you like to discuss your current employment situation with the experts at California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group? If so, contact our law firm at your earliest convenience and request to schedule a meeting with our experts.
When you contact our law firm, you will find that we offer both free consultations and free second opinions. What are these free legal services and how could they help you during this difficult time? Our free consultations and free second opinions are available to ensure that all our clients have access to the legal guidance that they need regardless of whether they have already started their claim or if they are interested in starting their claim. During our free consultations, our employment lawyers will answer all your questions and address all your concerns – providing you with the information that you need to begin your age discrimination claim against your employer. During our free second opinions, our employment attorneys will focus on providing you with the information necessary to redirect your claim towards a successful outcome – especially if your claim has been negatively affected by an incompetent attorney. Whether you would like to benefit from our free consultations or free second opinions, do not hesitate to contact the Los Angeles employment and age discrimination experts at our law firm today.
As mentioned above, our firm offers both free consultations and free second opinions; these free legal services are available to you at no cost as part of our Zero-Fee guarantee. Our Zero-Fee guarantee ensures that our clients never have to worry about having to pay any upfront legal fees for any of our legal services. Our employment law firm is also strictly based on contingency; therefore, our clients are never expected to pay anything for our legal services until after reaching a successful lawsuit outcome. If you are ready to stand up for yourself after being discriminated based on your age in your place of work, do not hesitate to contact the Los Angeles attorneys at California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group today.
“This law firm was GREAT. They have top customer service, quick follow up and were very professional. Everyone in the office was very efficient. I would definitely hire them again. Thank you so much for all your help. I’m extremely happy with the case outcome”