Schools are not always safe havens that are free from discrimination. There are many internal politics that go on, and too many individuals are on power trips or believe they are superior to others. When this is not simply related to work and tenure, it can take on a form of discrimination. Individuals working in the school district may be targeted for various traits and could face different kinds of mistreatment. In the worst case, you could be wrongfully fired. People who at the Long Beach Unified School District should take the proper legal action if they were let go for an illegal reason. A lawyer who has experience in Long Beach Unified School District wrongful termination cases can assist you with your claim. Contact the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group for more assistance if you were wrongfully terminated by LBUSD.
What laws prevent discrimination in California?
In the country, there are a few laws that are federally active and allow all individuals safety from discrimination and mistreatment. These laws include :
- The Civil Rights Act of 1064, which protects people based on race, sex, religion, ethnicity, and more
- The Age Discrimination Act of 1967, which prevents individuals over the age of 40 from being discriminated against
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which allowed disabled people workplace rights and freedom from discrimination and prevention of reasonable accommodations
In California, there are a few acts that specifically highlight what is legal and illegal. The California Family Rights Act, for example, provides appropriate leave for people who are afflicted with serious health conditions or who wish to go on maternity leave. The Fair Employment and Housing Act further elaborates on what is allowed in the workplace.
California is a state of at-will employment. This means that your employer can fire you at any moment for any reason as long as the reason is not unlawful. Likewise, employees can leave at any point for any reason. There cannot be any breach of contract unless another party breaks it first, and there cannot be an way for the employee to be held at the company against his will. I many cases, employers will use illegal reasons to fire workers, but will not admit to them. This is ultimately what leads to numerous wrongful termination claims per year.
The LBUSD , for instance, may fire teachers based on their ethnic backgrounds, religions, political affiliations, and more. In California, protected traits for which you cannot be fired include:
- Military or veteran status
- Status as victim of domestic violence, stalking, or assault of any kind
- Gender identity
- Gender expression
- Mental disability
- Physical disability
- Age (only for those 40 and older)
- Genetic information
- Nation of origin
- Medical conditions
- Sexual orientation
- HIV/AIDS affliction
To determine if you were part of a protected class and what to do to sue LBUSD for wrongful termination, call our firm today. Our Long Beach Unified School District wrongful termination lawyers in Los Angeles can give you all the information you need about whether or not you were illegally terminated.
Wrongful Discrimination Actions at LBUSD
If you were employed at LBUSD in any position, you should be given fair treatment. Teachers are not the only ones who should not be mistreated; even janitors, office workers, and TAs should be free from discrimination. Causes of wrongful termination in these school districts include:
- Violation of public policy: You cannot be fired if you take time off work to go vote or sit in on jury duty.
- Breach of contract: You cannot be fired from work if the action breaches your contract. You may have a set period of employment or your employer may not be able to terminate you unless certain conditions are met. It is harder to break written contracts than verbal contracts, so you should always try to get the contract in writing, if possible.
- Racial discrimination: Some schools may try to kick teachers and workers out for their races. If so, our Long Beach Unified School District racial discrimination attorneys in Los Angeles can help you sue.
- Disability discrimination: If you are denied medical leave or reasonable accommodations, you can sue for disability discrimination. Pregnancy also counts towards disability as you cannot complete the same actions you otherwise would. You can sue LBUSD for disability discrimination and seek various damages.
- Pregnancy discrimination: Being denied your right to maternal and paternal leave or reasonable accommodations would grant you the right to sue Long Beach Unified School District for pregnancy discrimination and illegal termination. Some schools do not like it when their workers take lengthy time off and will take presumptuous action. Others will deliberately harass you about your condition. If Long Beach Unified School District asked you to quit because you were pregnant, you should take note of the request in case of a termination.
- Age discrimination: If a school wants its TAs, teachers, and workers to only be of a certain age, you could file a claim for age discrimination. An LBUSD age discrimination lawyer can file your lawsuit for you. You must be over 40 to be protected from discrimination under the law.
- Retaliation: Retaliation is when your employer fights back after you have issued a complaint or made a claim. It may be in response to whistle blowing, sexual harassment, preferential treatment, and more. For instance, if you were sexually assaulted at the school by a coworker, you may wish to have him removed. But if the worker is in good standing or an influential figure, the school may not comply. If LBUSD harasses you and retaliates against you, you can find a Long Beach Unified School District sexual harassment lawyer to help with your case.
Whether you need to speak with a Long Beach Unified School District sexual assault lawyer or a Long Beach Unified School District harassment lawyer, we can provide you with what you need. Our Long Beach Unified School District discrimination attorneys have many strategies for winning cases and always put our clients first.
What evidence do I need to file a Long Beach Unified School District wrongful termination lawsuit?
If the Long Beach Unified School District wrongfully and illegally fired you, you should gather all the evidence necessary to sue for your lost income and other damages. However, your first step should always be to try and resolve the issue with HR. If no resolution came, it is wise to start gathering evidence of a discrimination case, as you may very likely get terminated. You should acquire all the following pieces of proof that apply to your case:
- Emails from HR and others discussing the discrimination
- Messages from your boss
- Written details of comments, statements, promises, derogatory remarks, threats, and more made by others about you or in your presence
- A journal detailing the discrimination and highlighting all of the important points
- Statements from coworkers who can back your claim up
- Testimonies from previously fired individuals who were similarly targeted
- A history of same actions taken at your company or taken by your boss or HR
- Photo evidence, video evidence, recordings, and more
- A copy of your employee handbook outlining what is and is not allowed
- Contracts you may have signed
- Proof of jury duty or voting
- Medical proof that you suffer from a disability or a physical condition of some kind
Once you have gathered all of your evidence, you should call a lawyer who can help sue Long Beach Unified School District for wrongful termination. We can file the claim for you and write the letter to the district and board of labor concerning the behavior and mistreatment.
How Much Long Beach Unified School District Wrongful Termination Lawsuits Can Be Worth
Long Beach Unified School District wrongful termination cases can have an average value of over $250,000 if you can prove that you were discriminated against and no actions were taken to stop it, or if you were wrongfully terminated and lost a lot of money in the process. An insurance agent or other attorney will look at the degree of losses you suffered and make an offer from there. If the offer is not worth it, we will negotiate a better deal. We may have to go to court to win a verdict for you, but many businesses and districts are loath to go to court, so they will issue a settlement beforehand.
A wrongful termination lawsuit against Long Beach Unified School District can result in the following forms of restitution:
- Back pay from wages you were denied
- Payment for wages lost in the future due to unemployment
- Reimbursement of disability pay, benefits, bonuses, tips, and more
- Pain and suffering damages if you were discriminated against or sexually harassed
- Punitive damages if the district were grossly negligent or intended to discriminate against you
- Reinstatement of your old position
- Policy changes in the district and workplace
A California wrongful termination attorney for Long Beach Unified School District employees will be able to win you the maximum compensation available under the law.
The Best Los Angeles Long Beach Unified School District Wrongful Termination Lawyer At Our Firm
The California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group can provide you with a qualified and experienced lawyer with experience in LBUSD wrongful termination cases. We have spent years handling employment cases and know the most successful and efficient ways to win your case. Our lawyers have decades of combined experience and will go to any lengths to win your claim. We are aggressive and always stand up for our clients no matter what.
Get in touch with our firm today for a free legal consultation to talk about your case. We will go over the details with you and help you understand what the legal process is like. If you have any queries or concerns, we will address them. Further, we will ensure that you pay nothing thanks to our zero fee guarantee. We will only get paid if we win, and if we lose, we take nothing at all.
Let the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group sue the LBUSD if you were discriminated against and wrongfully terminated from your job. A Long Beach Unified School District wrongful termination attorney in California can help you.