You may need a wrongful termination attorney if you have been fired for an illegal reason. In California, employment is at-will. This means that businesses can fire their workers at any point in time for any reason, even if that reason happens to be nothing at all. They do not have to give you a specific cause for the firing; you may simply not mesh well with the company or they want someone who better fits their ideals. You can similarly leave the job for the same reason if you wish. However, fitting an ideal cannot be discriminatory in nature. Your boss may discriminate against you in the firing in numerous ways, and if Nordstrom Rack wrongfully and illegally fired you, or if Nordstrom Rack harasses you and retaliates against you, you can file a wrongful termination lawsuit against Nordstrom Rack. Our Nordstrom Rack discrimination attorneys at the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group can take on your claim and ensure that you win the necessary compensation for your losses.
What are types of wrongful termination?
Wrongful termination can take on many forms. It often happens when you are targeted because of a specific trait you have or quality you possess that you otherwise cannot control. For example, if you practice a certain religion, you may be in the minority at your job and be disliked by your boss because your beliefs clash. He may fire you for a trumped up reason or make up a lie to mask his true intentions. Doing so is highly illegal and can result in heavy fines and compensation if you sue Nordstrom Rack for wrongful termination.
There are certain laws that protect you. These include:
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964, which protect you based on race, religion, sex, ethnicity, and more
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act, which protects you if you are over the age of 40 years old
- The Americans with Disabilities Act, which protects you if you have a mental or physical disability of some kind
- The California Family Rights Act, which protects you if you are pregnant or intend to go on maternity leave, or if you have to take time off work to either care for yourself or care for another person who is sick or has a serious health condition
California has numerous protections for certain classes. You cannot be fired based on the following:
- Status as a stalking or domestic violence victim
- HIV/AIDS affliction
- Veteran status
- Medical condition
- Nation of origin
- Marital status
- Gender expression
- Gender identity
- Sexual orientation
- Body type (San Francisco only)
If you were terminated based on any of these qualities, you should contact a California wrongful termination attorney for Nordstrom Rack employees so you can file an effective Nordstrom Rack wrongful termination lawsuit.
How can I be discriminated against at Nordstrom Rack?
You may be discriminated against in the following ways and suffer termination as a result. Retail workers, cashiers, stockers, and even managers can be mistreated and be made to follow unfair procedures, be forced to work poor hours, or get denied reasonable accommodations. Some examples of discrimination include:
- Disability, or denial of reasonable accommodations, refusal to grant medical leave, and more. You can sue Nordstrom Rack for disability discrimination if you were not given a stool to sit on because of a recent surgery preventing you from standing for long periods, for example.
- Age, or being over the age of 40. Nordstrom Rack may want certain individuals on the floor who can attract customers, or they may want workers who they believe are more tech-savvy. They can make presumptions about your skills and fire you based on your age. You should find a Nordstrom Rack age discrimination lawyer to combat the treatment.
- Racial, which is simply mistreatment because of your race. You may be constantly undermined and denied requests. Our Nordstrom Rack racial discrimination attorneys in Los Angeles will gladly take on your claim for you.
- Breach of contract, which can occur if you signed a contract for conditions of your employment and yet the business decided to break it. If you were wrongfully terminated by Nordstrom Rack due to a broken contract, we will help you sue.
- Pregnancy, which can happen as you become pregnant or after you give birth. Pregnancy is considered a disability and you are to be given reasonable accommodations. Choosing to take maternity leave can cause the business to replace you, though, which is illegal. You can sue Nordstrom Rack for pregnancy discrimination and illegal termination, and you can file a claim if Nordstrom Rack asked you to quit because you were pregnant.
You may also be a victim of retaliation, which occurs when your employer fights back against you for actions you took. You may have reported a coworker because he sexually assaulted you, for instance, but it was swept under the rug, and you decided to go to the authorities. Sexual harassment is a serious issue in the workplace, and you should always seek out the assistance of a Nordstrom Rack sexual harassment lawyer, Nordstrom Rack harassment lawyer, or Nordstrom Rack sexual assault lawyer.
What should I do if I were wrongfully terminated from Nordstrom Rack?
It can be confusing to take action in the aftermath of a wrongful termination. Truthfully, you should have started gathering evidence at the first sign of trouble or discrimination at work. This can date back months. Bit is always wise to go to Human Resources first to try and fix the issue, but that may not always work out, and you could be on the chopping block thereafter. Therefore, it is wise that you have a collection of proof for as much of the discrimination as you can to protect yourself in case you are fired. This evidence becomes harder to gather after you were wrongfully terminated, but it can still be acquired with diligence.
Key evidence you will need includes:
- Journal with notes about the discrimination
- Copy of a contract you signed
- Statements from coworkers
- Proof that other people were wrongfully fired, like settlements and claims from those terminated individuals
- Photos, videos, audio recordings, and more proof of the discrimination
- Proof of your medical condition, disability, visit to a doctor, or anything else to show that you went on proper leave
- Proof of a stint of jury duty or that you voted in case your company fired you for taking your rightful leave
Once you have collected this evidence, call a lawyer with experience in Nordstrom Rack wrongful termination cases. We can hire expert witnesses to support your case and we will work to prove that you were wrongfully fired.
What is the value of my wrongful termination claim against Nordstrom Rack?
Nordstrom Rack wrongful termination cases can have an average value of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Nordstrom Rack wrongful termination lawsuits can be worth a lot of money if you were sexually assaulted, if the business condoned the discrimination and termination, if numerous individuals were affected, and much more. The goal of our Nordstrom Rack wrongful termination lawyers in Los Angeles is to bring you the maximum compensation available under the law. We will strive to win you the following:
- Lost income from the past and future, including lost benefits, lost tips, missed commission, and more
- Reinstatement of your previous job position
- Pain and suffering damages if you were emotionally anguished from the event
- Punitive damages if Nordstrom Rack acted with gross negligence or intentionally discriminated against you and wrongfully fired you with malice
A lawyer who has experience in Nordstrom Rack wrongful termination cases can ensure that you are paid a fair and substantial settlement for your case.
What is the statute of limitations to file a wrongful termination claim?
The law dictates that the statute of limitations for a wrongful termination claim is 180 days from the date of the discrimination or termination if you are filing under a Federal agency, or 300 days from the occurrence if you file under a State agency. The Federal agency is the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission, or EEOC; in California, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing covers these claims.
A right-to-sue letter will be issued if the agency sees fit. Bear in mind that if you wish to file a lawsuit against a government entity, the statute of limitations is greatly decreased to only 45 days.
You may have the ability to have the statute of limitations extended in some cases. The most common occurs when the defendant leaves the state; the claim will be suspended until he returns.
A lawyer who can help sue Nordstrom Rack for wrongful termination will file your claim on time and make sure that you do not miss any important deadlines.
Los Angeles Nordstrom Rack Wrongful Termination Lawyer
The California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group can provide you with a qualified wrongful termination lawyer if Nordstrom Rack illegally fired you. You should be given the fairest treatment possible and the best representation for your case. We are some of the most highly regarded attorneys in the business, and we treat our clients with respect. We are constantly pursuing justice for wronged employees, and we aggressively go after policy changes in addition to your rightful restitution.
Give us a call to schedule a free consultation to discuss your claim. We will go over the legal details of it and tell you what we think it is worth. We will also give you more information about our zero fee guarantee, which states that you won’t pay us a dime of your own money throughout the case. We will only get paid if we win, and the money will come from the settlement we bring you. If we lose, we take no money at all.
Contact the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group for more help suing Nordstrom Rack for wrongful termination.