Snapchat, or Snap Inc., is a company that operates the worldly popular Snapchat app, which allows users to take and share photos and videos with other people. The company is relatively new and provides jobs to many web developers and coders. However, there are instances of wrongful termination and discrimination in the workplace, especially amongst certain groups of people who view others as encroaching on their territory. If you need help taking legal action, talk with one of our Snapchat wrongful termination lawyers in Los Angeles at the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group. We will gladly file a wrongful termination lawsuit against Snapchat for you and ensure that you’re adequately compensated.
What makes wrongful termination illegal?
There are numerous laws that have been passed throughout the years that protect workers from overbearing employers, or from companies and businesses that try to discriminate against workers and potential employees. These laws include the following:
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prevents prejudice and discrimination based on sex, race, religion, color, nation of origin, and others
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, which protects workers who are 40 years old and older from being fired, targeted, or refused employment for their ages
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which provides regulations and outlines for providing mentally or physically handicapped workers with reasonable accommodations, and prevents discrimination or termination based on these disabilities
- The California Family Rights Act, which outlines maternity leave, caretaking leave, medical leave, and more
States often have the ability to provide additional protections to employees. California in particular is known for having many more protected classes and traits than other states. These additional protections include:
- Age (40 years old)
- Genetic information
- Marital status
- Sexual orientation
- Medical condition
- Political affiliations, beliefs, and activities
- Veteran status
- Victims of domestic violence, stalking, or assault
- Nation of origin
- Mental disability or handicap
- Physical disability
- Gender identity
- Gender expression
Speak with a lawyer who can help sue Snapchat for wrongful termination if you find yourself without a job. You should be given fair compensation if the company illegally fired you for any reason.
How does wrongful termination happen?
Wrongful termination is often the result of discrimination and prejudice, and there are many ways that you can be targeted. It can be difficult to identify the exact reason, though, especially if you have little interaction with your boss. You should always be acutely aware of how your coworkers treat you and how they are treated relative to you. Some of the forms of wrongful termination at Snap Inc. include:
- Breach of contract, which involves a written contract that you signed that outlines employment, termination, hours, duties, and more. If this document is broken or voided by the company, you could sue for damages.
- Leave violation, or being fired for taking legal and appropriate leave, such as medical leave.
- Breach of public policy, which is usually the result of being fired because you took time to serve on a jury or go vote in an election.
- Racial discrimination, which is when you are targeted for your color, ethnicity, race, nation of origin, and more. Our Snapchat racial discrimination attorneys in Los Angeles will help you sue if you are treated poorly and fired due to your race.
- Age discrimination, which happens when individuals over 40 years old are targeted and fired. You may be refused promotions or even removed from your job because you don’t fit the preferred look of the company or because you have requested benefits and security that younger individuals seldom do. A Snapchat age discrimination lawyer can help you file a claim.
- Disability discrimination, which usually happens when a physically handicapped person has not been given any reasonable accommodations and has been fired in spite of that for not being able to complete his duties. You can sue Snapchat for disability discrimination if you were fired because you tried to program or code but were not given the right equipment, for example.
- Pregnancy discrimination, which is usually the result of being fired while taking maternity leave. However, the company could also simply ask you to resign an not return if you plan on taking 3 months leave. They may even just hire someone instead and tell you that your job position has been filled when you return. You can sue Snapchat for pregnancy discrimination and illegal termination if Snapchat asked you to quit because you were pregnant or if you were outright fired.
- Retaliation, or being attacked for issuing a complaint against the company or manager or for whistleblowing and alerting authorities and the media to illegal occurrences at the company. You may have been sexually assaulted or harassed at work, which could warrant you pressing charges or pursuing another claim. If Snapchat harasses you and retaliates against you, you could sue if you’re fired. Contact a Snapchat sexual assault lawyer, Snapchat harassment lawyer, or Snapchat sexual harassment lawyer for assistance.
If Snap Inc wrongfully and illegally fired you, you should move forward with a lawsuit with the help of our Snapchat discrimination attorneys. We will ensure that you are aware of how you were treated and we will tirelessly work to secure you every penny you deserve.
How do I sue Snapchat for wrongful termination?
In order to file an effective Snapchat wrongful termination lawsuit, you will need ample proof and evidence that there was illegal activity or reasons for your firing. In California, employment is at-will, meaning the company can fire you whenever it wants for any reason, as long as the reason is legal. Thus, many companies will simply hide their real reasons for termination. If you notice that you were being mistreated for some time and discriminated against, you were likely a victim of wrongful termination. Proof can include:
- A journal or written log of the discriminatory acts taken against you
- Audio recordings of the individuals berating you or planning to illegally terminate you
- Video evidence of the termination if you can acquire security footage or surveillance videos
- Testimonies from coworkers and ex-coworkers who saw the discrimination or who also witnessed it (although it can be hard to get such testimony from current employees due to the fear of being retaliated against for providing the statements)
- Messages and emails from your boss, Human Resources Department, coworkers, and more
- Your employee handbook
- A copy of the contract you signed
- Proof of medical leave, jury duty, sickness, voting, and more
Once you have gathered all of this evidence, you should research a skilled lawyer who has experience in Snapchat wrongful termination cases. You may not have any experience in such claims and if you try to handle one by yourself, you will not succeed. It is highly recommended that you pursue expert representation if you were wrongfully terminated by Snap Inc.
What can I win in a lawsuit against Snapchat?
The total worth of your claim against Snapchat will depend on the circumstances of your case and how much you lost in the termination. Snapchat wrongful termination lawsuits can be worth a large amount of money, especially if you were a victim of physical violence or assault. Snapchat wrongful termination cases can have an average value of more than $250,000 in such instances. You could receive the following forms of compensation:
- Lost income, benefits, commissions, bonuses, and more from the past and future
- Reinstatement of your previous job, although many people avoid this because of managers who are not punished or fired
- Pain and suffering damages to cover emotional anguish
- Punitive damages if the company was needlessly negligent or intentionally discriminated against you and was extremely hateful
A lawyer with experience in Snapchat wrongful termination cases will go above and beyond to win you every penny you deserve. we will seek to bring about a positive change in the work place as well so that other employees will not be treated the same way.
Snapchat Wrongful Termination Attorney in California
At the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group, we do everything we can to help victimized workers get the compensation they deserve. We will not stop until we are satisfied with the result we bring you. If our aggressive lawyers cannot negotiate a fair settlement, we will go to court to win your case.
Get in touch with our offices today if you are in need of a free legal consultation. We are available around the clock and can always be reached, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We will walk you through the legal process and answer all the questions you have about your claim.
If you want to hire us to represent you, we will also make sure you pay nothing thanks to our zero fee guarantee. We won’t get paid until and unless we win, and if we lose, we don’t receive any payment at all.