Wrongful termination can happen for many reasons, and at large conglomerate businesses, it is more commonplace for firings to happen with no repercussions. A business like Walmart has hundreds of locations in the country with thousands of employees, along with a high turnover rate. It can be difficult to pursue legal action against the store if you were you were wrongfully terminated by Walmart due to the size of the company and how it can hire numerous attorneys to defend against accusations. Fortunately, our law firm, the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group, can help you sue Walmart for employment discrimination. You should not attempt to pursue a claim without legal representation. Our firm can provide you with expert help in the form of a lawyer who is experienced at handling Walmart wrongful termination cases.
Discrimination in the Workplace
Workplace discrimination has always existed. Bosses have long since tried to do everything they can to get their employees to work for extremely low wages and to control them as if they are more than simply workers. They have prevented qualified individuals from getting jobs and have violated contracts. After some time, laws came into place to help balance out the power disparity between the workforce and the employer.
Eventually, more laws were passed that are used to this day and can be pointed to as grounds for lawsuits if they are violated. Examples include the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prevents discrimination on the basis of gender, sex, race, ethnicity, country of origin, religion, and more; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, which prevents individuals over the age of 40 from being targeted and mistreated; the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which seeks to stop disability discrimination; and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978, which was meant to keep pregnant women from suffering various ill treatment.
Racial discrimination, age discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination, and gender discrimination are all common. However, you can also be targeted if you suffered a work injury and tried to pursue worker’s compensation or wished to sue your employer. You may suffer the effects of retaliation in this instance; if you do not abide by the unstated rules of the workplace or if you try to fight back, you could be targeted.
Retaliation also occurs when you are fired for filing a complaint against the company or another coworker or manager or when you alert anyone else to wrongdoing that happens at the company.
Of course, one of the most difficult parts about unlawful termination or unlawful discrimination lawsuits is proving intent. California is a state of at-will employment, which means that employers can fire their workers for any reason (even if there is no reason at all), provided that reason is not unlawful. Therefore, if you were fired to cut costs or because your boss simply didn’t like your attitude, the company would not be breaching any laws. However, if you were fired because your work ethic was deemed ineffective because of your gender, you could take legal action.
If you suffered a hostile work environment at Walmart offices, contact our firm for more help.
Can I sue Walmart for wrongful termination?
Yes, you can sue Walmart for wrongful termination. You can only do so if you can prove that it was illegal, though. Proving intent is hard, and you will need ample evidence to have a successful lawsuit.
Should I sue Walmart for wrongful termination?
Yes. If you believe you were illegally terminated, you should sue Walmart for wrongful termination. A Los Angeles lawyer with experience with wrongful termination cases against Walmart can help you file an illegal discrimination lawsuit against Walmart.
What are some forms of discrimination in the workplace?
- Sexual harassment by coworkers
- Inappropriate touching
- Inappropriate remarks about your gender, sexuality, race, religion, ethnicity, and more
- Wages withheld or denied because of certain traits
- Not paid overtime or given viable shifts for your schedule
- Forced to undertake job responsibilities that could harm you or cause you injury
- Fired during maternity leave
- Fired for partaking in civil duties like voting or serving on a jury
- Terminated for filing a claim with Human Resources
- Fired by Walmart while on disability
With respect to Walmart itself, you could potentially be harassed by coworkers who know that they will not suffer any consequences at all. In fact, if you attempt to bring an illegal discrimination case against Walmart, you may very well be terminated for doing so.
How do I gather evidence to sue Walmart for wrongful termination?
It’s important that you follow these steps to ensure that you have the most evidence in your possession to show that you were wrongfully terminated by Walmart. Some employees have left the company with nothing written down or saved, and as a result, they do not successfully sue their employers.
- Take pictures of any discriminating texts, emails, messages, photos, and more that are present in the workplace
- Keep a journal that details each wrongdoing
- You should have gone to Human Resources to file a complaint; you can hold on to the receipt from this complaint if it’s an email or a letter stating what action was or was not taken
- Ask for statements from eyewitnesses and coworkers who saw the discrimination take place
- If possible, you could retrieve security camera footage to back up your claim
There are other, more specific forms of evidence that you could use if you were a victim of a certain type of discrimination. For instance, if you were fired because of a disability, you must be able to show that you were capable of handling the workload and job responsibilities. You cannot file a disability discrimination lawsuit against Walmart if you were turned away because you could no longer adequately complete any job duties and it would be a burden on the company to provide you with certain accommodations.
Where can I find Walmart wrongful discrimination attorneys?
The best California wrongful termination lawyers for Walmart wrongful termination claims can be found at our law firm, the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group. Whether you need a pregnancy discrimination lawyer to sue Walmart for discriminating against pregnant women, a Walmart discrimination lawyer, or a Walmart sexual harassment lawyer, we can provide you with one.
Worth of a Wrongful Termination Case against Walmart
A wrongful termination lawsuit can be worth a large amount of money if you have a skilled Walmart wrongful termination lawyer in California on your side. We will negotiate the settlement with Walmart’s insurance agent to secure the maximum value for your case. In order for the lawsuit to result in such high damages, however, you must have adequate evidence. Insurance agents will not simply hand out million dollar settlements without convincing evidence.
Here are some sample cases against businesses that had discriminated against their employees and paid the price.
- $4,750,000 Verdict: An underwriter for Bass was unfairly terminated. She was 61 years old; his replacement was much younger, and the replacement immediately had a starting salary that was higher than the original underwriter’s. The woman was in the minority at the workplace and was eventually targeted for her gender and her age. She was constantly harassed, eventually being pushed to retire; she wound up being fired and taking legal action, resulting in a victorious lawsuit.
- $670,000 Verdict: A manager at a Fire District reported someone underneath him for falsifying a report regarding arson. The individual who filed the report was suspended, given a warning, and was demoted. As a result, he filed a claim and won the retaliation lawsuit.
- $400,000 Settlement: An individual with a disability took legal action against the retailer he worked for because the retailer did not accommodate the medical restrictions of the disabled person. The lack of reasonable accommodations led to him being unable to perform his job. He was eventually fired for not working and filed a claim, citing discrimination and retaliation.
- $550,000 Verdict: Numerous women came forward against a manager in a retail business who had sexually harassed them. They said that he touched them inappropriately while at work and made unwarranted sexual comments. The women were terminated for bringing it up to HR, and eventually, they took action against him and the company, the latter of which was targeted for allowing him to continue working despite numerous complaints.
You could receive compensation for lost wages and emotional turmoil if you sue Walmart for wrongfully firing you. You may also be able to be reinstated into your old position if that option is available.
How Our Firm Helps Victims
The California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group in Los Angeles is here to help anyone who has been wrongfully discriminated against at Walmart and fired for any illegal reason. However, you need to act fast – you only have 180 days to file a claim with the EEOC and then 300 days to take action against your employer. Failure to adhere to this statute of limitations will result in your claim being thrown out and ignored; you would not be able to receive any compensation in the future.
Our attorneys are qualified and have years of experience in employment law. We are willing to take your case to court if we cannot wrestle a settlement from Walmart. Our lawyers are aggressive and will hunt for your maximum settlement. We’re also empathetic and will always update you on the status of your case and what we plan on doing next.
Call us today to set up a legal consultation with a wrongful termination attorney to sue Walmart. All consultations are private; you won’t have to worry about any of your personal information or case details being shared elsewhere. We invite you to ask us questions about anything you wish. If you hire us, we’ll give you our zero fee guarantee, which states that you won’t use any of your own funds to pay for legal help. We will only get paid if we win, and Walmart will cover your legal bills by way of the settlement we bring you. If we lose, you owe us nothing.