Edison International is an energy company that focuses on bringing power to individuals and businesses throughout the country. The company may participate in illegal termination, though, which can involve firing people for no reason. Edison International can prefer to have certain individuals employed or refuse to grant accommodations to specific people based on prejudice. If Edison International wrongfully and illegally fired you, you should search for experienced Edison International discrimination attorneys. Our law firm, the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group, can help you file a wrongful termination lawsuit against Edison International. We have years of experience in the business and believe that all companies should be held accountable if they are prejudiced in their activities. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need an Edison International harassment lawyer or a lawyer with experience in Edison International wrongful termination cases.
What are laws about wrongful termination and discrimination?
In California, employment is at-will. This means that Edison International can fire its workers at any moment in time for any reason, so long as the reason is not illegal. By the same token, employees can leave at any moment.
There are various ways to tell whether or not the company has illegally fired you. If you were fired for any of the following traits, the cause was illegal:
- Medical condition
- Political affiliations, beliefs, and activities
- Veteran status
- National origin
- Mental disability
- Physical disability
- Gender identity
- Gender expression
- Age (40 years old and older)
- Genetic information
- Marital status
- Sexual orientation
- Victims of domestic violence, stalking, or assault
California has many more protected classes than are available Federally. If you are in California, you have a higher likelihood of being a victim of discrimination due to this increased number.
Some of the laws that pertain to wrongful termination include the following:
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prevents discrimination and termination based on sex, religion, race, ethnicity, color, and more
- The Age Discrimination Act of 1967, which protects those individuals over the age of 40 years old from being targeted and fired because of their age
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which allows those with disabilities and handicaps to receive reasonable accommodations, and also protects them from termination based on their disabilities
- The Pregnancy Discrimination Act, which amends the Civil Rights Act and provides protection for maternity leave
- The California Family Rights Act, which is specific to California and outlines the length of time for maternity leave, the need for reasonable accommodations for pregnant women, the amount of time that can be spent as a caretaker, the leave time required for personal sickness, and more
If you find yourself terminated in violation of any of these laws, speak with our Edison International wrongful termination lawyers in Los Angeles today.
What are examples of wrongful termination from Edison International?
Wrongful termination can take many forms. It is important that you be able to identify it when it happens so you can take appropriate legal action. It may be difficult to do so if you do not understand your rights.
Some examples of wrongful termination include the following:
- Racial discrimination, which occurs based on your nationality, color, ethnicity, and more. You could be fired for simply not being the same race as your boss, or you could be fired because of wrongful stereotypical associations. Our Edison International racial discrimination attorneys in Los Angeles will help you sue the company if you were mistreated based on the color of your skin.
- Disability discrimination, which happens when you are denied reasonable accommodations or terminated without even being asked to list what you would need. It is considered cheaper to simply fire you than it is to provide accommodations. With the help of our lawyers, you could sue Edison International for disability discrimination.
- Age discrimination, which pertains to those who were terminated for being over the age of 40 years old. Older workers have more requirements than younger workers, usually, and may also be viewed as less desirable outside of experience. An Edison International age discrimination lawyer can assist you with your claim.
- Retaliation, which happens as pushback for action you took against the company. You may have been sexually assaulted or harassed and subsequently filed a claim, or you may have searched for an Edison International sexual assault lawyer to represent you. If Edison International harasses you and retaliates against you, an Edison International sexual harassment lawyer can ensure that you are fairly compensated for your losses and trauma.
- Pregnancy discrimination, which occurs to pregnant women who may be denied rightful reasonable accommodations (pregnancy is considered a disability), who are denied maternity leave, or who are replaced or fired during their time away. You may even be asked to resign so the company does not act in violation of any laws. If Edison International asked you to quit because you were pregnant, you can sue Edison International for pregnancy discrimination and illegal termination.
To file an Edison International wrongful termination lawsuit, speak with our lawyers today. We will look over your case and determine if you have a foundation for legal action.
How do I sue Edison International for wrongful termination?
If you were wrongfully terminated by Edison International, you should have evidence to prove it. The discrimination and mistreatment may have occurred while you were still employed. It is worthwhile to have proof of this mistreatment, such as a journal showing it, or security footage highlighting it. The most damning evidence you could have would be statements made by your boss that are clearly discriminatory, but many bosses will fire workers under the guise of other reasons.
You should try to acquire the following types of proof for your claim:
- Messages exchanges between your boss and the Human Resources Department if you brought up the previous discrimination or any issues with management
- Statements from coworkers who can support your claim and back up the fact that you were discriminated against
- Testimonies from coworkers who were fired or who suffered the same treatment, which can establish a pattern of behavior
- Photographs, videos, audio recordings, and anything else that can be used to highlight the mistreatment
- A contract that you may have signed that shows the conditions of your employment
- A copy of your employee handbook to showcase the rules of the company
- Any additional proof that you went on leave, such as medical records and treatment notes, voting slips, jury duty slips, and more
Any and all evidence that you can gather will benefit your claim. Once you have collected as much as you can, you can find a lawyer who has experience in Edison International wrongful termination cases. We will put your lawsuit together, write the demand letter, and submit it to the proper agency, whether that is the EEOC for Federal Claims or the DFEH for California-based claims. Your lawsuit must be filed within 300 days in California or 180 days Federally, and we will make sure to not miss any important deadlines with the statute of limitations.
How much can I win if I sue Edison International for wrongful termination?
Edison International wrongful termination cases can have an average value of more than $100,000 in some instances. For cases involving harassment or heavy mistreatment, Edison International wrongful termination lawsuits can be worth over $500,000. A skilled California wrongful termination attorney for Edison International employees will be able to win the maximum compensation for your claim. We will pursue the following:
- Lost income from the past and future
- Job reinstatement
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages
Do not hesitate to find a lawyer who can help sue Edison International for wrongful termination.
Los Angeles Edison International Wrongful Termination Lawyer
The California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group will gladly help you sue Edison International for wrongful termination. Our team of attorneys is known for being aggressive and thorough, and we do not give up on claims. We will pursue every penny you deserve and if we have to go to court to defend your rights, we will lay your case out in front of a judge and jury. We know the best strategies and methods for success.
Contact our law firm today to schedule a free legal consultation. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and all consultations are totally private. We will walk you through the legal process and help you understand how much your claim may be worth. If you have any specific questions, do not hesitate to ask. We will also provide you with our zero fee guarantee. This states that you won’t pay any money unless and until we win. We get out compensation as part of the settlement from Edison International, and you do not touch your savings. If we lose, you pay nothing whatsoever.
Get in touch with the California Labor Law Employment Attorneys Group today if you need to sue Edison International for wrongful termination.